Pros

  • One-and-a-half servings of Whole Grain Rice per cup
  • Casein Free, Soy Free, Wheat and Gluten Free
  • Non-Dairy and Vegan
  • 3 grams of Protein per serving
  • Live Active Cultures
  • Made with Organic ingredients
  • No GMOs, Trans Fat or Cholesterol

  • Cons

  • Strong rice taste
  • Odd mouthfeel
  • A lot of ingredients (I like as few ingredients as possible, and I like them to sound like food.

  • Full Review

    Ricera Organic Rice Yogurt - Blueberry Flavor

    I'm always on the lookout for a good non-dairy yogurt to pack in my children's lunchbox. We really like the homemade soy yogurt that I make, but there's some obvious packaging problems with that. We've never had Rice yogurt before, so recently when we saw Ricera Organic Rice Yogurt next to the Soy yogurts at Whole Foods, I thought we'd give it a try, and picked up a blueberry flavor.

    It has attractive packaging. I pulled off the foil tab and handed the cup and a spoon to my oldest son. He took a big fat spoonful, and then immediately made a horrible face. "This tastes like *ss', he declared. I gave my younger son a spoonful, and he said it was terrible. Between the two, they agreed that you could taste the rice, and that there was somehow too much 'pulp' (or something like that) in it, and that it had a gritty taste.

    I took a spoonful, and I didn't think it was all that bad- not too sweet. There was something off about the texture, but it did taste like blueberries. I gave the rest to my fianc, who proceeded to wolf it down in less than 30 seconds. He said it tasted great. So the tally would be two adults who liked it, and two children who did not. I'd guess maybe that adults don't expect yogurt to taste like dessert.

    Because it has so many different thickeners in the ingredients list, it did have more of a pudding consistency, and I would have liked it being a bit more tart. But then, I like my yogurt tart and not sweet.


    In Closing

    Ricera Blueberry Yogurt Ingredients: Organic Ricemilk (water, organic whole-grain brown rice), Evaporated Cane Juice, Blueberries, Water, Pectin, Inulin, Calcium Phosphate, Locust Bean Gum, Salt, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Agar, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Live and Active Cultures including l. bulgaricus, s. thermophilus, l. acidophilus, b. bifidum.

    Nutrition Facts: SERVING SIZE: 1 container (6 oz.); Calories 180; Total Fat 1g; Saturated Fat 0g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 160mg; Potassium 70mg; Total Carbohydrate 37g; Fiber 3g; Sugars 19g; Protein 3g