The mascot of the rock band Hootie and the Blowfish, Hootie the dog, often makes me think of people who own greyhounds. Greyhounds who are principally hunt dogs have been used by man in several blood sports and betting games. The sad part is not many of us have actually taken the efforts to get to know the greyhound dog's temperament, their warm, friendly and mature personalities. Greyhound dogs as pets depict different and mature behavior, in comparison to other dogs. I grew up on a farm where my family had adopted a dozen dogs to guard the vast estate. There were two hounds (who were later given away) who fascinated me, one was a Modhol hound a mix breed of greyhounds and another was a mighty greyhound. Both of them were quite affectionate and loyal and I enjoyed their company. Looking back, today, I find that this type of dogs is not just a speed loving canine, but it has a very deep and almost human like personality.

About Greyhounds

Layla, was the greyhound that my uncle had bought home from one of this trading trip. I do not remember her native place, it may have been Great Britain. Years later my old uncle, a kennel enthusiast, told me that greyhounds came from the Turkish and Egyptian regions where they had been used for hunting for quite some time before they were sent over by traveler to Celtic regions such as Great Britain.

Well, Layla was not British after all but she did known the culture of Britain, as when they taken to the Isles, they adapted very well to the people, as well as its geography. The greyhounds are also close relatives of herding dogs, which probably explains Layla's habit of chasing our cows, not to mention scaring buffaloes out of their wits. Greyhounds, as I discovered later, were keen runners, who clocked as good as 40 mph. Layla was different from all our other shepherd dogs, she was thin, had long legs and an air of certain maturity. She was swift, fast-footed and was, of course, fierce, a couple of fights made her the queen of the barn. One thing about greyhounds that has always fascinated me is their disinterest in cats and a mature and very kind behavior with young children.

Often I had witnessed her running off with some other dog's bone or bread. She was also the oldest among all the dogs and could easily dominate the rest of them. She had a brown coat that shed very less. Tropical climate it seems affects their coat but in cold climates one won't have a problem of hair fall. She had most beautiful pair of eyes that God had created. Often, I felt that her eyes did the talking and singing for her. In my imagination, if Layla could speak, she would probably make a speech like a corporate dictator lady. Layla's domination over other dogs was natural, as greyhounds as pack animals assume an alpha role. Even in the house no one insulted Layla, and my uncle strictly discouraged it, as greyhounds are said to be sensitive and react aggressively when insulted or are talked to in a negative manner. Firm, polite and clear instructions, verbal and symbolic instructions were to be used.

Layla needed a daily running quota in the pastures, where she zipped through the green using her long thin legs, poking her muzzle in every possible rabbit hole she came across. In later years Layla became a mom to 6 pups, charming and as many would say 'cute'. When my family gave them away, Layla cried, her crying made me cry. I came across some good greyhound dog facts which I read out an eager Layla...
  • Alias: English greyhound and Hund
  • Average Height: 28 to 30 in (males) and 27 to 28 in (females)
  • Weight: 60 to 88 lb (males) and 60 to 75 lb (females)
  • Likely diseases and disorders: skin sores, achalasia, bloat and Osteosarcoma.
  • Common allergy: insecticides (Layla had already experienced the effect, due to nose poking of course)
  • Hair shed: none except in extremely hot climates.
  • Diet: very low and minimal (I guess they are afraid of putting on weight)
Looking back at those years, today I realize that Layla was a pathetic guard dog and I hardly remember her barking, which was good in a way.

An incidence that I vividly remember, is when she caught a rabbit, just for fun. Well, the chase was fantastic, even a jet fighter seemed slow in comparison to her speed. Later in my teens I realized that Layla had a hunting addiction, to satisfy her greyhound dog diet and a disgusting habit of chasing anything that had mobility, that included monkeys, squirrels, cars, trucks, birds and even bulls, who unfortunately injured her once. But somehow it did not curb her habits.

An average greyhound lives to about 10 to 13 years. Layla died when she was 11 years 4 months old, in my mother's arms, from food poisoning. She said goodbye with a gentle tearful lick.

If you are planning on keeping a greyhound as a pet then, go ahead and get a couple, as greyhounds at times get lonely and suffer form puppy separation anxiety. They are good apartment dogs, but require good greyhound dog care and a good run about once a week. Don't ever be nasty, as it breaks their hearts and, in some cases the limit of their temper. Small dog training programs and reasonable pet care, makes them mature.