I have been making this clam chowder receipe for over 30 years and it always turns out great. It is really easy to prepare and is a popular dinner on cold, rainy and or snowy days. Nothing warms you up quicker than a bowl of tasty, homemade clam chowder. I have changed a few things from the original receipe, so it is my own creation. It is a personal favorite of my husband.

Things You Will Need

1. 7 or 8 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces

2. 1 can of minced clams

3. 1 can of evaporated milk

4. 1 Tablespoon of parsley flakes

5. I Teaspoon of minced garlic ( I use the already prepared kind in a jar)

6. 1 small chopped onion ( I usually use a sweet onion)

7. several strips of bacon, cut into small pieces

8. a couple of stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces (this is optional, but it adds flavor)

9. corn starch


Cook your potatoes in a 4 or 5 quart cooking pot, with just enough water to cover. Add the parsley flakes and garlic. Cook until fork tender.

While the potatoes are cooking, fry the bacon, onions and celery until the bacon is crispy and the onions and celery are tender.

Once the potatoes are done, add the can of clams with the juice and the can of evaporated milk. Let that simmer for a few minutes, then add the bacon, onion and celery mix. I usually don't drain the bacon grease, because it adds flavor and sometime the bacon is lean and doesn't have much grease.

Let the chowder simmer for about five minutes.

Mix a couple of tablespoons of corn starch with water in a small measuring cup, add to chowder to thicken. You can make it thicker by adding more of the corn starch with water mix if it doesn't seem as thick as you would like, depending on your preference.

Salt and Pepper to taste. You can add biscuits with the meal, or just have the chowder with some crackers.


Tips & Warnings

If you are wondering why I fry the onions separately with the bacon, it is because I learned that if you add them to the potatoes while they are cooking, they tend to be a little slimy and I found that we prefer them cooked with the bacon. Just something I changed from the original receipe, but we really like it.